Grade 3/4 : Endangered Animals
Instructional Design: Teresa Kaye
Stage 1 - Desired Results
L.A..- Organise, Record and Evaluate(3.3)
Share and Review(3.4)
Religion- appreciate how respect and care for our environment effects animals in our world
Below is a pdf file identifying all of the ICT outcomes touched on throughout this project. Click on the file to download it to your computer.
• Students will research information on an endangered animal.
• Students will gain a respect for animals in their environment.
• How the decisions mankind makes effects wildlife in our world.
Students will know:
• basic log in/log out and close,open and save files with Inspiration and AppleWorks
• what are endangered animals
Students will be able to:
• work with Inspiration to plan a research report,
• be able to use the Internet as a tool for research
• present this information to their classmates in a slide show.
Stage 2 - Assessment Evidence
You have been hired by a “Save the Animals Environmental Group” to report on the status of your endangered animal. You must report information about your specific animal. This is the information that they require: 1. Appearance 2. Food 3. Habitat 4. Enemies 5. Interesting Facts 6. How can we protect them?
Other Evidence (Quizzes, test, etc)
Student self-assessment (which will be done at the end of this project)
Stage 3 - Learning Plan
Teaching and Learning Activities
1. Introduce Endangered Species
2. Select one endangered animal per student. Provide a list of animals. Provide books for some of these animals.
3. Review log on/ log off and introduce Inspiration Program. Prepare web for note gathering (60 min). Discuss plagiarism.
4. In Shared Folder, drag student support document into personal disk space. Visit recommended sites and begin gathering information to keep as notes on Inspiration (120 min.)
5. Exploration of AppleWorks Presentation (60 min). Guide students to create the outline of their presentation:
Make 6 slides:
-Title page: Name of animal + name + clipping
-Title each slide: Appearance, Food...
-Begin copying information from Inspiration notes
-Add graphics from clippings and Internet
6. Begin work on Slide Show (180 min.)
7. Present slide show(90-120 min.)
8. Student self-evaluation.(30 min.)
9. Present at parent-teacher interview
Key Design Elements
How will students know where they are going, why they are headed there, and how they will be evaluated?
How will you hook the students at the beginning of the unit?
What will help students experience the big idea of this unit? How will you equip them with the needed skills and knowledge?
How will you get students to reflect and rethink? How will you guide them in rehearsing, revising, and refining their work?
How will students exhibit and self-evaluate their growing skills, knowledge and understanding?
Additional Teacher Resources
These are documents for teachers and/or students that were developed to support the project. Documents will always be available in pdf format as well as in the original format created (e.g. MS Word, AppleWorks, Inspiration, etc)
Click to download
Enter screen shot of Rubric here
The following exemplars represent a sample of a excellent and limited project. Please click on the exemplar to download a copy. NB - You will need Appleworks 6 installed on your computer to view.