Grade 4 : Land Use, Resources and Industry
Instructional Design: Jim Holm and Monique Aultman
Stage 1 - Desired Results
• Ways in which natural resources affect people and the way they live.
• People modify and change the environment according to their needs
• Ways to conserve natural resources and protect our environment .
• Geographic regions and the way they affect people and the way they live.
• Find examples of how the environment affected people in the New Testament.
Below is a pdf file identifying all of the ICT outcomes touched on throughout this project. Click on the file to download it to your computer.
• The environment can affect the way people live.
• Our way of life and our environment are affected by the presence and use of natural resources.
• Conservation is important to Alberta’s future.
• How natural resources are used and their impact on natural environment?
Students will know:
• Know the difference between renewable and non-renewable resources.
• They will identify the geographical regions. Identify natural resources.
• Basic login, log out, open, close, and save files with Inspiration and Appleworks.
Students will be able to:
• Students will demonstrate increasing skills with Inspiration and Appleworks.
• Develop basic Internet search skills.
• Copy and paste graphics from the Internet.
Stage 2 - Assessment Evidence
You will create a slide show on Alberta’s natural regions. For each of these 5 regions, you will find a picture of its land form, vegetation and animal(s). You will also describe how this regions natural resources are used.
Other Evidence (Quizzes, test, etc)
Student self-assessment (which will be done at the end of the project)
Stage 3 - Learning Plan
Teaching and Learning Activities
1. Show sample slideshow. Drag Student Support Document from shared folder.
2. Brainstorm ideas on Inspiration: what should be on the slide presentation? Make a web of these ideas by
typing in 5 natural regions. Students change font, size and colour of text. Add information about each region.
Guide students to create coloured background
Make 12 to 18 slides to begin:
-Title + name +add clipping/picture
-Title each slide by region and add wildlife, plants, resources
-Begin copying information from Inspiration notes to complete sentences
-Add graphics from clippings and Internet
Save + logoff
3. At the end of the research, students edit by using the electronic dictionary.
4. Students present.
Key Design Elements
How will students know where they are going, why they are headed there, and how they will be evaluated?
How will you hook the students at the beginning of the unit?
What will help students experience the big idea of this unit? How will you equip them with the needed skills and knowledge?
How will you get students to reflect and rethink? How will you guide them in rehearsing, revising, and refining their work?
How will students exhibit and self-evaluate their growing skills, knowledge and understanding?
Additional Teacher Resources
These are documents for teachers and/or students that were developed to support the project. Documents will always be available in pdf format as well as in the original format created (e.g. MS Word, AppleWorks, Inspiration, etc)
Click to download
The following exemplars represent a sample of an excellent and a limited student sample. Please click on the exemplar to download a copy. NB - You will need Kidspiration or Inspiration 7.x installed on your computer to view.