Grade 4: Social Studies: Alberta and Canada Links
Mrs. Debbie Senger
Mrs. Angela Boucher
Stage 1 - Desired Results
Appreciation for the many simularities and differences shared by Canadians.
Below is a pdf file identifying all of the ICT outcomes touched on throughout this proje ct. Click on the file to download it to your computer.
The students will understand the links between Alberta and Quebec, such as language, sports, tourism, music, and being Canadian.
1)How do Canadians in two separate provinces maintain culturally distinct lifestyles. (food, language, music)
2)How can Canadians promote positive interactions between Francophones and Anglophones?
Students will know and be able to:
- list the major leisure activities, languages, customs and traditions of Albertans and Quebecois.
- understand the links between Alberta and Quebec, such as language, sports, toursim, music, and being Canadian.
- identify the provincial symbols of Alberta and Quebec (flags, crests, official flowers, birds)
- recite the lyrics to O ‘ Canada in French.
- distinguish between different holidays celebrated in Alberta and Quebec
- compare and contrast between occupations held by Albertans and Quebecois
- identify cardinal and intercardinal directions, using the direction finder
- create a multimedia presentaion expressing ideas on the similarties and difference between Alberta and Quebec
Stage 2 - Assessment Evidence
The grade 4’s will work with a partner to create and design a slideshow in the form of an ABC book to showcase the lInks between Alberta and Quebec.
Other Evidence (Quizzes, test, etc)
rubric, teacher observation
partner and self evaluation
Stage 3 - Learning Plan
Teaching and Learning Activities
W- The students will be directed to use information from their texts, and the internet to create a slideshow, Social Studies project.
W- The students will be prompted with an outline of the expectations and a template of the slideshow.
W- The students will identify the simularities and differences in the way people in Alberta and Quebec live.
H- The students will be hooked by a presentation of personal experience growing up in Quebec by Danielle Amerongen
E- Through sharing and presentations of slideshows, all students will experience the focus of this topic.
R- Students will complete a KWL chart at the beginning and end of the topic.
R- A rubric will be given to each student as a guide of expectations for the project.
E- Students will complete a partner and self evaluation.
Every team will create a story board indicating images, titles and texts included in each slide.
**Students will create a storyboard of their presentation in the classrrom. (see template below)
Computer lab sessions:
Session 1 & 2 Exploration of Presentation Theme: animals
See Presentation Instructions below.
Logon, Launch Presentation
Make 4 slides to begin:
1.Title + name +add clipping/picture from library
2.Title next slide dog. Using clippings library. Write one sentence.
3.Title next slide with favorite animal.
4.Use google to find picture and copy to slide
5.Title next slide with favorite animal.
6.Use google to find picture and download picture to folder. Show how to insert picture from folder.
View sample slideshow and discuss the multimedia tips included in presentation.
1. Slide in personal folder chosen background (see link below to download backgrounds) and, Student support document. 2. Create title page. 3. Create 1 page at a time and alternate with partner.
Session 5 & 6
1. Complete work. Insert sound clips from sound folder. Demonstrate transitions and play options.
Additional Teacher Resources
These are documents for teachers and/or students that were developed to support the project. Documents will always be available in pdf format as well as in the original format created (e.g. MS Word, AppleWorks, Inspiration, etc)
Click to download Rubric
The following exemplars represent an excellent, adequate and limited student samples. Please click on the exemplar to download a copy.