Grade 8: Social Studies: Geographic Regions of Brazil
Instructional Design: Imelda Bordawka and David Roach
Stage 1 - Desired Results
- Describe the region.
- What is unique to the region?
- What is the climate vegetation?
- What is the land use and animals of the region?
Below is a pdf file identifying all of the ICT outcomes touched on throughout this project. Click on the file to download it to your computer.
- Discover the physical features of each of the five regions of Brazil.
- How does the climate influence the vegetation and animals of a region?
- How does the location of a country influence its climate?
Students will know:
- Have been assigned a region.
- Will have researched and recorded information about the region.
- Will have categorised and collected pictures for that region.
- Know background knowledge on vegetation, landform, and animal life
Students will be able to:
- Create a PowerPoint presentation
- Present a multimedia presentation of the region they have researched and share that knowledge with the rest of the class.
- The students will have experienced all the regions from the PowerPoint presentations
Stage 2 - Assessment Evidence
You are a journalist sent to a region in Brazil to state the facts and descriptions of what you have seen and learned about that region physically.
Other Evidence (Quizzes, test, etc)
- Description and explanation of your region
- Content and quality of information
- Students will have a PowerPoint presentation exhibiting what they have learned.
- The students will have a rubric to understand what is expected of them
- They will fill out a self-assessment of the project at the end.
Stage 3 - Learning Plan
Teaching and Learning Activities
Geographic Regions of Brazil-SS 8 Planning
To do in class, before first period in lab:
Assign topic (region) to each student.
Provide students with rubric and explain task with expectations, including timeline.
Have students research topic. Talk about plagiarism and need to write in own words.
Have them keep track of references for bibliography.
*Remind students to record picture site
Period 1 in lab: Review of Power Point and start on presentation:
Show example with advice
Since these students have already worked on one project using Power Point, we only do a review: New slide, Text box, View all slides, Add pictures, add and view notes.
Let them start their presentation, concentrating on getting the text on the slides.
Period 2 in lab: Finish Power Point presentation:
Review how to do animation, talk about sounds.
Let students finish presentation. Print if they have notes.
To do after both lab periods:
Their might be a few students who do not have time to finish the presentation. Consider booking the lab to go on your own.
Have students present their oral presentation and mark finished product using the rubric.
Students could mark each other while watching presentations and/or have them answer prepapared questions by presenter.
Key Design Elements
How will students know where they are going, why they are headed there, and how they will be evaluated?
To introduce Brazil, experience the geography by focusing on a region, and to learn about putting together a PowerPoint presentation to share with the class. Assignment and rubric will be given to the students.
How will you hook the students at the beginning of the unit?
The geography of Brazil will be presented in regions through shared PowerPoint presentations and a group map project.
What will help students experience the big idea of this unit? How will you equip them with the needed skills and knowledge?
The students will experience the geographical Brazil through shared learning of research, pictures and presentations.
How will you get students to reflect and rethink? How will you guide them in rehearsing, revising, and refining their work?
Students will reflect and rethink by experiencing other regions presentations comparing information and picture to see a whole visual of Brazil.
How will students exhibit and self-evaluate their growing skills, knowledge and understanding?
The students will exhibit their knowledge by showing and shaping a region presentation with the class. The students will self evaluate by checking to see if they have all the criteria asked of them.
Additional Teacher Resources
These are documents for teachers and/or students that were developed to support the project. Documents will always be available in pdf format as well as in the original format created (e.g. MS Word, AppleWorks, Inspiration, etc)
Click to download
Click to download Rubric
The following exemplars represent an excellent, adequate and limited student samples. Please click on the exemplar to download a copy. NB - You will need Kidspiration or Inspiration 7.x installed on your computer to view.