Grade 8: Social: Brazil Brochure
Wade Michael and Renee Trottier
Stage 1 - Desired Results
Physical geography influences human settlement.
The physical environment provides opportunity and at the same time imposes limitations.
Below is a pdf file identifying all of the ICT outcomes touched on throughout this project. Click on the file to download it to your computer.
Students will understand what has been the interaction between physical and human geography in Brazil over time.
What are the major physical features of Brazil?
What issues and trends are influencing the relationships of the people of Brazil with their physical environment?
Students will know and be able to:
Students will know the major physical features of Brazil.
Students will be able to present the physical geography features of Brazil in a brochure format.
Students will draw conclusions regarding the relationship between the physical characteristics of a country and the lifestyle of its inhabitants.
Stage 2 - Assessment Evidence
You are part of a team working for National Geographic. Your team is preparing a documentary on Brazil. Your task is to research and bring a brochure to your group that outlines the physical geography of Brazil. Your work will be evaluated using the rubric provided.
Other Evidence (Quizzes, test, etc)
Quizzes, tests, teacher observation.
Stage 3 - Learning Plan
Teaching and Learning Activities
1. In class, introduce the topic of Brazil. Give needed background information
2. Give students the package of material which includes a sample brochure with the assignment criteria and a rubric for their evaluation.
3. Students research the topic and gather data. They keep track of their sources.
4. They organize the information collected.
5. Lab periods 1 and 2: Students will login to the lab and retrieve the template from the assignment folder. Students will use the Word template and will type their information to create a brochure which highlights the physical geography of Brazil. Students will manipulate the template, changing pictures, changing borders, etc. to make it their own.
Lab 1: Retrieve template
View: Toolbars (Standard, Formatting, Drawing)
Text boxes: How to create and how to manipulate (get in by clicking once, to select the whole text box, double click on border)
Inserting images, not in text boxes. Show what happens when you do.
Changing picture properties: double-click on pictures
Selecting several objects (using shift key). Ungroup the border.
Show Word Art
6. Lab period 3: Students will write a paragraph for the last page of their brochure which explains and draws conclusions on the effect of geography on human lifestyle in Brazil.
7. Students could perhaps self-assess their work using the rubric and could also peer-assess. Teachers will evaluate the product using the rubric.
8. Students will fill out the reflection sheet.
Additional Teacher Resources
These are documents for teachers and/or students that were developed to support the project. Documents will always be available in pdf format as well as in the original format created (e.g. MS Word, AppleWorks, Inspiration, etc)
Click to download Rubric
The following exemplars represent an excellent, adequate and limited student samples. Please click on the exemplar to download a copy. NB - You will need Microsoft Word installed on your computer to view.